Monday, January 12, 2009

The Denver Zoo

Colorado's Scientific & Cultural Facilities District (SCFD) is so awesome that it sponsors FREE days at the Denver Zoo, the Denver Museum of Nature & Science, the Denver Botanic Gardens (downtown & Chatfield), the Denver Center for Performing Arts AND the Denver Art Museum!!! I'm looking forward to taking the family to all of these places... and our first stop was the Denver Zoo!

For me, the Denver Zoo puts the Los Angeles Zoo to shame... really. It is GINORMOUS!!! What I find funny though is that every time I say we went to the zoo, someone runs through a list of animals asking if we saw them... and they always ask if we saw bears. Oddly, I don't recall seeing any bears... save for the 2 polar bears.



We also saw lions and a tiger... you really get that close to the lion (with glass between you, of course!). For the tiger, I used my telephoto lens, but it was only about 5 feet away behind glass. You can view them from outside, too... but it was so stinkin' cold out, we liked the buildings :o)




We also saw giraffes; an adult, a 'teenager' and a baby that was born last August. Would you believe that the baby was SIX FEET TALL when it was BORN!? :o)



There is this little window when you exit the 'feline' building, the girls went to see what was on the other side and this beautiful cheetah walked up to them! There may be glass there, but I think we all jumped! LOL They really are gorgeous though, aren't they??



After all those felines, (polar) bears and giraffes (oh my!)... we skeedaddled into the 'Rainforest'. There we saw PIRANHAS and 2 Komodo Dragons! Doesn't the dragon look likes its smiling? :o) Did you know that a Komodo dragon bites its 'victim' and then the bacteria in its venom sets about killing? The bacteria can take up to a week to kill, if the venom doesn't do the job. My oldest knew this before we got there... where did SHE learn it??



We also saw this pretty starfish...



I'll post more pictures later! The birds were beautiful, too! :o)