Sunday, January 18, 2009

Dave Ramsey...

will tonight (and the next 12 weeks) be worth $95? I've heard wonderful things, so I can only hope! :o)

We've been in debt, and we've climbed out of it as responsibly as we could. We went through Consumer Credit Counseling Services also known as CCCS (that links to the local branch we went through... you can find a closer one to you!). We paid off over $20K in 3 years, they said it would probably take us 4! And then what did we do? We decided to move to Colorado, where our brakes completely failed and had to be COMPLETELY replaced and we promptly got screwed by park management, and got back into debt... thankfully only to the tune of $6K. Its all good though!

So we're at church a couple weeks ago and I see that we'll be hosting Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University (not Dave Ramsey, just the seminar). I'd heard about him! I actually had bought his book the week or so before! Talked to Rick, he agrees, we could do it. Talked to in-laws, they agree to watch the kiddos for us. Talk to the CPA putting on the seminar, flinch when she says it will be $95 for the seminar. Feel better when she says we can make 2 or 3 payments! :o)

Tonight is week 1. We get our 'kits', we get to watch an hour long video, then we get to talk for an hour. Can I call this a date night? I'm thinking maybe not. But I think I can call it a step in the right direction!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have fun.... learn a lot... but watch out! I have found the "Dave Ramsey" way is to sell you lots of tools to get out of debt! Never made much sence to me.... "you're in debt, it's bad enough to seek help, so pelase pay me and I will teach you how to not be here..." Remember, most of what they will try to sell you you can get FREE at the public library! :)

The Clan Piccini said...

I can totally see that, but I honestly didn't mind the money tonight... but I won't give more. To me, it's like Weight Watchers... accountability and the tools to teach you how to do something that you should already know how to do! :o)

Tonight was a good night, looking forward to next week :o)