Saturday, February 7, 2009

Our love story... part deux...

So, I knew I was going to marry him :o)

About this time, his friend (who'll remain nameless, until he or his wife tell you!) was kind of freaking out. :o) See, Rick and I were going out EVERY DAY together. And my little girl was going to all these places with us, because, sadly, there was no one to watch her.

Our first 'date' was a drive down Santa Rosa Creek Road in Cambria... completely terrifying, seeing as I was afraid of driving (or being driven) in the dark, on windy roads in the wind. At times I was, literally, curled up in a ball on the passenger seat clinging to the 'oh shit' handle... near tears! And he came back O_O Kiera was in the backseat asleep. LOL

Another date, we went out on Highway 46 to this pull out that overlooked Morro Rock and took pictures. Kiera was there in her car seat :o) And after we took pictures, Kiera came out to look with us (really, do you think I was stupid enough to let her wander on a pullout that had a busy highway on one side and a cliff on the other?!).

Would you believe that Rick & I didn't have our first kiss for almost two weeks?! If you know ME, you know that this is odd. He brought me Reese's peanut butter cups and daisies... I HAD to kiss him! LOL Little did he know that those were both my VERY favorites, and still are to this day! :o)

At some point, after spending all this time together, Rick asked me to go to Monterey for the weekend with him. Kiera included. (This was about a month and a half into us 'dating') So we headed off for a weekend in Monterey... we hardly left the hotel room, except to venture out to Cannery Row for a few hours. :o) It's odd having your kid underfoot, but I'm thankful that she was only 8 months old by this time! LOL

After this wonderful trip, we had plans to go out the next day... so he kept the car seat and stroller in his car. From what I've been told, his friend completely freaked. I couldn't tell you the exact words, but suffice it to say I was not this guys favorite person LOL (I am now though!)

October 4, 1999 (1 month, 19 days after we met) ~ I was sick as a dog, with a bitch personality to match. Rick drove me out to Cayucos one rainy afternoon... one of our few moments without Kiera. I was just too sick to enjoy it, so he drove me home. We got to my house (I was living with my mom still), and he got out to open my door. Not an odd occurrence for Rick, he was just raised that way. :o) As he opened my car door, he got down on one knee. I pretty much told him to get up and get out of my way, I wanted to go inside. (Oh yeah, I REALLY had that bitch part down that day! I am very ashamed of this now...) He wouldn't get up :o) and to this day, I'm grateful that he didn't :o) I wish I could remember his words, all I know is that he ended with "Will you marry me?" My answer? "Yes, now will you please get up so I can go inside?" Seriously, that is what I told him :o( Not very romantic of me... I'm actually surprised he didn't say 'never mind'.

Later that day, I was standing in the kitchen and my mom was making dinner.

"Rick asked me to marry him."

(not looking at me) "Did you say yes?"

"Of course"

"Good. You're very lucky he asked you."

Huh?

Seriously, this is the general consensus in my family... I am lucky that this wonderful man asked me to marry him. Was I really that much of a heinous bitch that no one thought I deserved him?? Both my aunts like to remind me how lucky I am that I have him.... like I don't know this! Everyone in my family LOVES my husband. I get the feeling they like me, too. LOL

End of October ~ This is one of my most favorite parts of our story!

I was going to meet Rick's parents. That's right, I hadn't met them yet... and better yet, they had NO CLUE that we were engaged! O_O Rick drove Kiera & I to Victorville to meet his parents and siblings (minus one, she didn't live there). When we got there, his dad was still at work and his siblings weren't there either. His mom welcomed Kiera and I easily. When his dad pulled up, his mom grabbed Kiera and said, "Let's go say hi to grandpa!" Really, she did that, and she still had no clue! :o) His dad came in carrying Kiera (9 months old now). He went to change out of his work clothes... he comes downstairs wearing a sweatshirt that says "#1 Grandpa" I swear! :o) That night, after dinner, we dropped the bomb LOL They took it well.

There was a worry about my not being a Christian, Rick is... he was raised that way. His parents were incredibly worried about him 'yolking' himself with a non-believer. He set them at ease, letting them know that he KNEW in his heart WITHOUT a doubt that I was 'his Eve'. Awwww! :o)

Kiera & I moved in with Rick in November 1999. Shock & chagrin... we weren't married O_O :o)

There will be more... I think 2 more... right now I have to go enjoy time with my girls :o)

2 comments:

Chris2fer said...

I wasn't freaking out because the stroller and the carseat were in the car full-time, I was freaking out because I thought you were too needy and "damaged". I was afraid Rick was trying to "fix" you.

Well, he was.
And he did.
And I was wrong.
And I'm glad. :)

Besides, I freak out a lot. Rick knows me well enough to ignore my histrionics.

I love you both.

The Clan Piccini said...

But I WAS needy and damaged! LOL So you weren't wrong at all :o) And honestly, we both love you all the more for the histrionics, because I think they pushed us even closer together! LOL

But I was pretty accurate though, right? :o)