Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Can you bake a cherry pie? I can! :o)

When I was little, I LOVED the Puff the Magic Dragon movie... 

Here is a link to the WHOLE movie!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3476801002597020377

But one of my favorite parts is when Jackie Draper meets Very Long John Black and Blueberry Kid... 

Jackie: Can you bake a cherry pie, Very Long, Very Long, can you bake a cherry pie, Very Long John?  
Very Long John: I can bake a cherry pie quick as a cat can wink its eye, pumpkin, peach and half a dozen others.
Jackie: I don't believe you!  
Very Long John: You don't believe me?!  
Jackie: You're a pretty good pirate, but a baker?  Never.

I've never made a cherry pie.  Heck, the only fruit pie I've ever made is apple!  But I baked some peanut butter oatmeal cookies and sent them to work with Rick, and his co-workers requested a cherry pie.  I'm totally game because I LOVE to bake... my biggest wish/dream is to be able to bake and sell my baked goods for a living (but having no formal training, I'm thinking thats not going to happen!) :o)

I accepted the cherry pie challenge, and I even made the crust... which turned out to be a great idea because I got to buy a food processor! :o)  I used to cut butter in by hand, which is all fine and good, but with 3 kids clamoring for my attention, time is of the essence and all that! LOL  I did cheat though, I used pie filling.  I just didn't feel like pitting a ton of cherries, I could see that being even more time consuming that squeezing all those Key Limes! :o)  Doesn't this look yummy?


Then Rick thought it would be a great idea to do a lattice top... uh, I've never done one of those either! :o)  But I'm game for anything... here is the result, not beautiful, but it looks homemade! :o)


Here is the finished result... it smelled DIVINE!



Rick took it to work the next day and its my understanding that it was a hit.  Enough that one of his co-workers asked if I'd make a blueberry pie!  He'll even buy the blueberries for me! :o)  That should be fun!  Rick made sure to save me a piece so I could try it... but he completely forgot that I don't eat cherries LOL  So I took the last 2 pieces over to his mom & sister (since his dad had already had a piece on their drive home from work!).  :o)

Its summer and I'm baking... I must be nuts! :o)  Chocolate chip cookies for him to bring into work next week (with Guittard chocolate, yum!)... and maybe apple pie the next week :o)  And sometime next month, an Oreo cheesecake for Emmie.  Its a good thing Rick takes these things to work with him, otherwise we'd have to roll everywhere! LOL

3 comments:

Faline said...

silly girl.... pitting cherries is SOOO MUCH easier than squeezing Key Limes...

Faline said...

Darn it!!! Silly Faline changed who was signed in on the computer... that was actually me... GRETCHEN!!! UGH!!!

Christine said...

Thanks for the Welcome to CO! We've had one storm since I've been here, but nothing major. But I grew up in Texas, so I'm used to severe weather. At least I have a basement here!

We'll definitely have to meet up. I've heard of the focus on the family place...and their giant slide.

Oh, and that pie looks so yummy!